Tuesday, February 7, 2017

"The Happiness Project" - A very brief book review

"The Happiness Project" is a delightful romp of a book.  Especially considering that it is a non-fiction, self-help book.  It is in the "stunt genre." Yes, I guess this is a thing.  You do something very different, unique and possibly adventurous for a set amount of time and then write about it.  Other books that I haven't read, but want to, in this genre include, "A Year of Biblical Womanhood" and "Animal, Vegetable Miracle."

I very selfishly choose this for our January book club pick because I wanted to read it.  It is a good fit for the beginning of a new year because there are a boat load of ideas on improving your life.  So there's that.  If you've got all of your poop in a group, you have no need to read further.  I first discovered Gretchen Rubin, as an author, through my favorite podcast, "What Should I Read Next."  Several guests gushed about this book, so it had to go on my to-be-read list. A friend got me hooked on Gretchen's podcast called "Happier," which is now another one of my must-listen-to podcasts.

This book is organized by month.  Each month, after having researched which things would be best  to improve her general happiness, selects an area of focus.  In true type A fashion these task items all fit into the mold of a SMART goal, so she will be able to see if she was able to truly tackle these goals each month.  For example,  in the month of February, she focused on goals that would strengthen her relationship with her husband and did a week of "extreme nice," where she attempted to cut out nagging and habits that she knew bugged him.  Hilarity ensues. 

Gretchen and I are cut from the same cloth - albeit that my piece of cloth is from the raggedy frayed end of the bolt. We are both upholders (more on this in one of her podcasts) and I related to her rational for her monthly projects. I think the overall goal for herself (making small changes to improve happiness) was conveyed in ways that made sense and were applicable.
If you have read this book and you are not a Type A personality, I would love to hear what you thought of it because my suspicion is that this book might have resonated quite as much.

P.S.  I can't remember if this came from her podcast or from her book, but one thing I have done because of Gretchen, is to keep a one-sentence-a-day journal.  I started a few months ago and haven't missed a day yet.  So simple!  Hopefully my future grandchildren will get a kick out of it. :)

Keep a one-sentence-a-day journal.


1 comment: