Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Letter Of Thanks

Dear Grandpa,

You were born in 1923.  The fourth child of Norwegian immigrants.  You grew up in such a different world than what we know now.  The Great Depression, WWII, The Fifties.  You were in the same ilk as Don Draper, minus the heavy drinking, smoking and infidelity.  :) You married an amazing women who kept house and raised your three kids.  This wife loved you, understood you, traveled around the world with you and shared your love of God and His church.  You both had a vibrant social circle -friends and family were always around basking in the glow of your love of life, fun and food.
You grew old together, travelled the world together and watched your children and grandchildren become productive and responsible members of society.
Then one day in July, ten years ago, you found yourself without your companion.  Almost 60 years with her and life was suddenly different.
You were one, not two.  You were lonely.
You choose to focus on your blessings and praise your God.  At her funeral you raised your hand in worship while singing "How Great Thou Art."
Gradually, you grew older and less capable of  maintaining your once active lifestyle.  You moved into a Senior Living Center and slowly began losing small pieces of yourself going from cane to canes-plural, to walker to wheelchair.  Losing your ability to drive and the choices that each day could bring you.  Still you kept an attitude of thankfulness. You choose to focus on what mattered to you most - what you still had, the love your God and the love of your family.
Now you can't even breath on your own and yet you can look towards heaven with such longing, but still be present on earth with such hope.

Thank you so much.  Thank you for being so strong in your heart when you body is so very weak.

Thank you for little things that are really so big, like taking the time to play Monopoly with me, when no other adults could spare the time.  Thank you for letting me style your hair, eat your junk food, join you at fancy restaurants, for being at all of my recitals, for my first car, for letting me cut your grass even though I almost sucked your dog into the mower...... and a million other memories.

Thank you most of all for being the kind of man who can look back on his life with no regrets.  I may be off on this one, but I don't think it is common for someone to rest so peacefully in the knowledge that a beautiful legacy has indeed been passed down to his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

I want you here, but I know you want to be with Granny and with Jesus, who you both love so much.

With all my love,

Your first grandchild -the one you called a tennis ball with eyes and the one who you helped to become the woman I am today.  I would be a different person if you had not been in my life.



4 comments:

  1. Kaia, that was amazing. Now where are those cyber Kleenex when you need them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth,

    I have no memories that precede my knowing this incredible man. A dear friend of my parents long before I was born, my parents made it clear to me and my siblings that if anything happened to them, Warren and Audrey were set up to take care of us until we were grown. Because I knew this, there was no fear attached to the concept of losing my parents.
    Camping, hunting, even being neighbors for a while- sweet memories. Lunch on Christmas Eve at the Lex, the Memorial Day Breakfast, always the biggest smile was Warren's. I never felt he loved me any less than his own children. Few will ever have a friend like that.
    My Dad and I made a special trip over to Seasons to see him last October. My last visit with him I guess- the love was there as usual despite his obvious discomfort.
    If in this world I have any honor among men, Warren Loe shaped a big part of it. Thank you for giving me some of the really good stuff.
    Tom Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely. Thank you for sharing this with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For posterity, Grampie went home to be with Jesus on December 2nd, 2011. He was admitted to a hospice care facility on a Monday and died 4 days later. He will be GREATLY missed. :(

    ReplyDelete