Friday, August 31, 2012

Purging Half Time

I am half way through cleaning out a certain someone's bedroom.  I don't know why I am choosing today, the last official week day before school starts, to purge my 8, almost 9, year old daughter's bedroom.  It is a beautiful day outside - sunny, 82 degrees, low humidity - but I have been doing child centered activities all week and ridding her room of the debris will be extremely gratifying to yours truly.  Just walking by her room and glancing into it, raises my blood pressure, let alone having to enter her room to tuck her in at night.  I usually have to step around a pile of books and leap over a heap of dirty clothes just to negotiate the 5 feet from the door to her bedside.  I have a friend that requires a "safety zone" in the room so that people can walk around the room without sustaining an injury of some kind.  I also have a different friend who doesn't go into her daughter's room to read to her and tuck her in unless it is picked up.  That seems like a logical consequence.  Maybe I'll use that in concert with my current plan, which is to take pretty much everything out of her room except clothing, a handful of books, her American girl doll and whatever she needs in the line of school supplies to complete her homework.   I figure maybe with 75% of the stuff in her room removed, she can be successful in keeping it picked up.  The teacher in me is creating an imaginary IEP with one achievable goal: Student will keep room tidy 80% of the time.  Am I being unrealistic?  Should I just let her have a messy room, avoid all the badgering I have to do to get her to clean it, get a valium prescription for myself and walk around singing "Que Sera, Sera?"  Will things play out like they do in a Mrs. Piggle Wiggle book and my daughter will eventually trap herself in her room and we'll have to place a ladder to her window to give her food and water?
So far the most exciting thing I've discovered, besides the "Elf on a Shelf" book that I tore the house apart at Christmas time....twice, looking for (It was in one of two boxes I gift wrapped to be an aesthetically pleasing stand for the doll house.  The one box had children's holiday books and the other had summer clothes that may have fit at the beginning of the summer but definitely do not fit now.  Why do I tell myself, "Oh, I'll totally remember what's in those boxes?" I've got to stop all the lying!) was the cover to a small tin box.  It had an interesting, greasy, almost opaque substance with a  vaseline like viscosity to it, spread all over the underside of the lid.  There was a Harry Potter lego character laying, like a victim of the "stupify" spell, in the unidentified paste.  I held it up to my daughter and asked what the stuff was. "Oh! That is a skating rink," she responded with pride in her voice.
"What did you use to make the rink?," I probed with fear of what the answer might be.
"Oh, sunscreen," she answered nonchalantly.
Of course I have to give artistic props to the juxtaposition created in the use of a product synonymous with summer to facilitate a winter activity.
I also have to say, "gross."
Alright, it's back to the purging.  If I have any energy left when I'm done, I'll post an "after" photo.  You can see the "before" shot in the background of the ice rink pic below.

1 comment: